The message insufficient device storage may appear when trying to install an app or firmware update on your Ledger Nano S device. For a firmware update: simply uninstall all apps. To make space for apps: just uninstall apps you don't need. Uninstalling apps does not affect your crypto assets.
- Open the Manager in the Ledger Live application.
- Check on the screen of your Ledger Nano S which apps are installed. Pick a few to uninstall.
- Find the apps to uninstall in the App catalog in Ledger Live.
- Click the Trash button for each app to uninstall.
- Install the apps you want to use.
How apps work
Ledger Nano S securely stores the private keys giving access to your crypto assets. Each app on the device lets you manage a crypto asset. Example: To manage Bitcoin, install the Bitcoin app.
Your device has limited storage. You can safely uninstall and install apps within seconds without losing access to your crypto assets. Your private keys stay safe on your device and on your Recovery sheet.
Your crypto assets are not stored in the apps, they are secured on the blockchain.
The number of installable apps varies
Apps generally have different sizes and come in two categories:
- Stand-alone apps are bigger and cannot be stacked, examples are Bitcoin and Ethereum.
- Dependent apps are based on another app and are therefore smaller in size. You can install many of them at the same time, stacking them.
Installing only Bitcoin-dependent apps*: Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin Gold, Litecoin, Dogecoin, Dash, Horizen, Komodo, Stratis, Peercoin, PIVX, Viacoin, Vertcoin, Stealth, Digibyte, Qtum, Bitcoin Private, Zcoin, GameCredits, Zclassic.
Installing only stand-alone apps*: Bitcoin, Ethereum, XMR.
Stand-alone and dependent apps*: Bitcoin, Ethereum, HODL, RSK, Litecoin, Dogecoin, Stratis.
Example app combinations
* situation as of June 4, 2019 - subject to modification in apps and firmware sizes.
Use multiple devices to manage more apps
To avoid uninstalling apps to make room for others, you can buy another device. If you restore the recovery phrase from the first hardware wallet on the second one, both hardware wallets manage the same private keys and will access the same accounts.