The message insufficient device storage may appear when trying to install an app or firmware update on your Ledger Nano S device. You can simply uninstall apps you don't need. Uninstalling apps does not affect your crypto assets.
- Open the Manager in the Ledger Live application.
- Check on the screen of your Ledger Nano S which apps are installed. Pick a few to uninstall.
- Find the apps to uninstall in the App catalog in Ledger Live.
- Click the Trash button for each app to uninstall.
- Install the apps you want to use.
How apps work
Ledger Nano S securely stores the private keys giving access to your crypto assets. Each app on the device lets you manage a crypto asset. Example: To manage Bitcoin, install the Bitcoin app.
Your device has limited storage. You can safely uninstall and install apps within seconds without losing access to your crypto assets. Your private keys stay safe on your device and on your Recovery sheet.
Your crypto assets are not stored in the apps, they are secured on the blockchain.
The number of installable apps varies
There are two different types of apps:
- Stand-alone apps: These tend to be larger in size. Examples are Bitcoin and Ethereum.
- Dependent apps: These are based on a stand-alone app and are therefore smaller in size. You can install many of them at the same time, stacking them.
App installation orderStand-alone and dependent apps need to be installed in the right order. Learn more >
Installing only Bitcoin-dependent apps*: Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin Gold, Litecoin, Dogecoin, Dash, Horizen, Komodo, Stratis, Peercoin, PIVX, Viacoin, Vertcoin, Stealth, Digibyte, Qtum, Bitcoin Private, Zcoin, GameCredits, Zclassic.
Installing only stand-alone apps*: Bitcoin, Ethereum, XRP, Cardano, NEO.
Stand-alone and dependent apps*: Bitcoin, Ethereum, XRP, BCH, Litecoin, Binance Coin, Dash, ETC, ZEC.
* situation as of March 9th, 2021 - subject to modification in apps and firmware sizes..