Set up and use the Electrum desktop application to manage Bitcoin (BTC) with your Ledger hardware wallet.
Before you start
Step by step
- Connect and unlock your Ledger device.
- Open the Bitcoin app.
- Launch Electrum from your applications folder. The install wizard opens.
- Leave the default wallet name and click Next.
- Select Standard wallet and click Next.
- At the keystore screen, select Use a hardware device and click Next.
- Select your Ledger device and click next.
- Choose the right derivation path for your account and click Next:
- Legacy for an account that has addresses starting with a 1
- p2sh-segwit for an account that has addresses starting with a 3
- Native segwit for an account with addresses starting with a bc1
Your addresses are generated and voilà! Your account balances are shown in the History tab. You can now manage your BTC from your Ledger device using Electrum.
Always start by sending a small test amount. Proceed only with larger transactions if the test transaction has been successful.
- Open the Receive tab.
- Copy and share the Receiving address with the person or service that will transfer to your account. Make sure you double-check the address if you copy and paste it.
Always start by sending a small test amount. Proceed only with larger transactions if the test transaction was successful.
- Open the Send tab.
- Enter the recipient address in the Pay to field. Please verify the address when you copy and paste.
- Enter the Amount to send and select the network fees.
- Click Send. Check the amount and fees, then confirm by clicking Yes.
- Verify the amount, receiving address, and fees all displayed on your device.
- If everything is correct, confirm the transaction by pressing the right button to sign it.